Wednesday, May 19

Finished: Swedish frilled veil


Finally I got round to finishing this project (I started it in the fall of 2008, oh shame on me): Maria's Swedish frilled veil is ready to wear! Bertus will take it with him to Morimondo (an event in Northern Italy) this weekend to hand it over to her! You can see the progress in these posts:
1. The sculpture from which the inspiration for this veil was taken;
2. A sketch of the pattern I used;
3. The sewn veil without starched edges.

I (with the assistance of mister Bertus himself) have been cutting and sanding wooden setting sticks and applying the starch to the frilled edge.


Starching a frilled veil is fairly easy.

  1. You need a clean surface that is large enough for the size of your veil to work on;
  2. Take your dry starch and prepare for use according to the instructions on the package;
  3. Apply the starch to the veil by dipping it in the starch bath completely (you can also choose to only starch the edge);
  4. Put the wet veil on the clean surface and put in the setting sticks in the openings of the frilled edge before the starch dries out;
  5. When you're finished putting in the setting sticks, flip over the frilled edge and make sure everything looks fine on the down side of the frill as well, then flip back;
  6. Let dry over night;
  7. In the morning you can iron the veil and the frilled edge with the sticks still inside. Heat setting of frilled veils is not documented for medieval times, but it was used to starch/stiffen from the 16th century onwards. It does help to keep your veil in shape longer, which can be very welcome at events.
That's all!

I hope you enjoy your veil Maria!

11 comments:

Peter said...

This is just marvellous! So beautiful Isis!

Chris said...

Great :-) I really hope she enjoys her veil, I definitely would!

Everytime you post a new frilled veil it makes deciding which type I want to try out more difficult...

Remember we talked about weaving frilled linnens at the Tohopesate-meeting last year in Hannover? Now I have my loom set up and hope to find the time to start :-)

I started my own blog some weeks ago, so if you like to read something about medieval bookbinding, have a look at buchwerkstatt.blogspot.com

Best wishes from northern Germany, Chris.

Isis said...

chris, so nice to see you on my blog! i hadn't come to the conclusion yet that the chris from the comments was you! what a nice surprise!

i have added your blog to our linklist, so i will surely take a look there from time to time :)

i'm really looking forward to seeing your weaving experiments!

hmm, i can't decide wwhich types i want either, there are like 100 types i still want to try some time, haha :)

Lizzie said...

I love it and all the work that went into it especially the starching - are you sending her the rolls as well? What will she use it for?

Isis said...

Hi Lizzie,

Yes, I will send the setting sticks together with the veil. They are cut to size especially for this veil.

Maria will wear the veil to complement her wealthy late 14th century outfit at medieval living history events.

Racaire said...

The veil looks great!! :)

Yarn Mafia said...

That is so lovely. It may inspire me to make a frilled veil at some point. I could pin it to my Cap of St Brigit (which I have your site to thank for).

Sarah A said...

Beautiful, now I want one....

Machteld said...

It looks so sweet, beautiful!!!

Gina-B said...

Such beautiful and precise work Isis!

Maria said...

I just LOVE it!!! :D

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *