Monday, October 16

Shade cards

I'm not being a good student today. I should be in class at the moment. But. I really didn't sleep well tonight and also went to bed way to late. And I got up with a soft headache, that started getting worse around twelve o' clock. And I had lots to do before I had to go to college, so I was completely stressed out.
I'm trying to make it up by working for university at home, which means reading articles and more articles.

And in between two articles I take a break and make good use of the opportunity to write something here!

I have been wanting to add some text to Saturday's post, but Blogger didn't want to coöperate last weekend. So now, as you can see, there are only pics. I'll add some more info here then, allright?

Here we go...

What I wanted to write is something about the lining of this purse, and medieval purses in general. I used a piece of yellow silk and sewed it to the embroidered parts, leaving about one mm uncovered at the sides, to give me enough space to sew the sides together later.
I have no idea wether this is the correct way to do it, or at least the way used on medieval purses. I have'n been able to study original purses close enough to see how the lining has been made.
I have also tried a different method: making a seperate little 'bag' with the lining-fabric, and then put this inside the embroidered piece that is sewn together at the sides. So in fact you have two purses, lining and outside, that you sew together at the top.
I used this method for this purse.

The first method works better for me. But I really wonder how other people do this, and how it was done on the original pieces!

This afternoon I finally found the shade cards of DeVere Yarns I've been waiting for so long. Now I can order the silk I need for making the gimp cord for the turk's head knots to cover the heads of the tassels for this purse with.

That's all for now, back to Environmental History!

Saturday, October 14

Update purse




Friday, October 13

Colours for the doublets


The fabric (silk) for the outside of the doublets, one blue and one orange-brown with redwood and madder dyed fingerloop braid.
The cutting of the padding is done, maybe tomorrow I'll start sewing the padding layers together...

Wednesday, October 11

Pattern

This is what the final pattern for the 15th century arming doublet looks like! The pattern for the shoulder padding I will make when the doublet's finished.
The outside will be silk, the lining silk satin and the inner layers will be made of heavy duty linen. It will be laced on the front, with a fingerloop braided silk lace and eyelets finished with buttonhole stitch. Also the sleeves will be laced at the wrist.
There will be extra laces to attach plate armour to it.

Today Bertus and I started cutting the fabric for the inner layers. We had to do everything double because we want to make two doublets at the same time. There will be four layers of inner fabric in each doublet. This is because they'll have to carry a lot of weight when worn under Bertus' armour (that is still in the making).

Tuesday, October 10

My new boots

My new late 14th century boots, made by Filip de Clerq.

(I just wanted to show them to you).